Monday, July 24, 2006

Ditty Bops in Concert

Near the end of last year, I posted on hearing the Ditty Bops in concert opening for Nickel Creek. Well, last night I had the terrific opportunity to hear them again. Tracy had promised me a surprise date, and they were it. I don't mean to make it sound like it was just the four of us.

They were at the Grand Emporium. I had never been there as a concert venue, only as a place to get a quick drink while visiting the Unicorn, and I was really impressed. The space seemed pretty small to me (but what do I know of concert venues) with chairs on the outside of the hall, and an open space for standing (and dancing) in the middle.

The Bops played for a solid 90 minutes, with a lot of their stuff from the new album (which they are bicycling across the country to promote) and plenty of their better-known favorites. In rereading my prior post, I was struck by my use of the idea that they were hosting a private joke that everyone was in on. Last night's show TOTALLY reflected that vibe. The Bops do "theme" shows regularly. Last night was "The Wizard of Oz," with Abby dressed as Dorothy, and Amanda switching from Glinda to the Wicked Witch in the middle of the set. (Both of her costumes featured tall hats which entailed tricky acrobatics when changing between mandolin and washboard.

As I mentioned, I don't know what the Grand Emporium crowd is usually like, but I have to guess that this wasn't it. There were little kids in the house (one of whom danced on stage when invited) as well as older folks, families and some urban hipsters. (I belive the fact that I have used the phrase "urban hipster" makes me not one). Amanda, as I mentioned played mandolin and washboard, with Abby on guitar, and Greg on piano and accordian (Greg gamely wore a funnel on his head for the first few songs, but eventually gave up on it). The girls have amazingly tight and intricate harmonies that make it impossible to not want to sing along with them, and nearly impossible to actually do so.

We paid ten bucks to get in. Incredible. Folks are paying three times that to see Menopause: the Musical at the Heartland. Seriously, it is hard for me to remember a better theatrical experience (the Bops' show is musical at its core, but it's nothing if not theatrical) ever at that price. So, if you read this blog, and you live East of KC as the bike rides, find a way to see them. It will be well worth the effort. Everyone else, get on itunes and buy their albums.

1 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Of all the men to share my enjoyment of the Bops, I should have known it would be you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google