Thursday, July 22, 2004

What Will One Dunk in It?

Click on the title for CNN's report about Krispy Kreme's new drinkable donut beverages.  At first I was really sort of disgusted by the entire concept. If you know me, that may surprise. I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a bad donut. Although Krispy Kreme's are not my favorite, as a friend once said, I didn't get this shape from being picky.

But, the more I think about it, the more I've decided that it could be great, or it could be horrible depending on the type of base beverage. If it's a water-and-ice based thing, its bound to suck. Any good taste will be diluted by the water and you might as well just have the last 3 ounces of backwash from a vanilla latte.

However, it is a milk-type product, it will be excellent. Trust me, if you make a milkshake with a few dozen donut holes thrown in for good measure, it will definitely be worth it. A little extravagant, perhaps, like a deep-fried twinkie, but welcome to the consumer culture.

One final quick note -- as you might guess from the above, I'm not really a nutrition label follower.  But these numbers are really astounding: 22g carbs for a glazed donut; 70g carbs for the 12 oz. drink variation of the same.  And for the 20-oz. version of the Double Chocolate drink? 160g of carbs. Decadent.  I'm not a businessman, but it seems to me that the new-product division of Krispy Kreme that is releasing these things needs to be talking to the financial division of Krispy Kreme that says the low-carb craze is eating into its profits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google