Friday, October 05, 2007

Umm . . . the dog ate my bookmarks?

I've recently started singing with a local community choir. It's volunteer, but of a very high quality. There are a lot of people whom I've started to know by their first name, quickly to discover they are more frequently addressed as Dr. such-and-such. That seems to happen with some degree of frequency in this college town. And that one.

Anyhow, we had our first performance last Saturday. It was the day after I learned that my college choral director had passed away after a long and storied career shaping young voices (and corraling some of our young wills). It was not an easy concert.

But, despite the mortal overtones, it was fun. The last time I performed with a (formal, evening-wear, non-church) choir, I was a cocky but not-particularly-confident 22-year-old with a great tenor voice. It's interesting to me how different I am now. My voice is weathered (n.b. - Tracy's is seasoned) but I have tons more confidence. I guess I fear audiences even less than I did then, and maybe I'm a lot less worried about what my peers are thinking and what I might be doing wrong. Apparently experience trumps talent for me in this context.

The concert itself (and its contents, wonderful, are perhaps matters for another post) made me realize how much I miss performing. I want to be on stage and I have lots of ideas (and generous opportunities from friends) on how to do this, but I need to pick one and commit.

This post was to be a subset of a larger one, but chasing that wild goose may keep me from posting this, so I stop here.

3 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger Randman said...

I know how you feel. Having lost the closeness of performing friends has been one of the toughest parts of relocating. All this creative energy and no outlet.

Glad to see you start blogging and posting again! Missed you!

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Galoot said...

Yesterday I was thinking of how badly I bombed an audition ten years ago because of utter terror. Now it wouldn't be as frightening.

Too bad we couldn't come up with some way of doing improv on the interweb together. I'd love to share a stage with you and the missus again!

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been really feeling it lately, too - the loss of creative friends and co-workers. It really can be a touph challenge to find a good way to channel that energy every day. Plus, I've just really been missing my KC friends.

Thirteen years ago we barely knew what improv was. Perhaps thirteen years from now someone will be saying, "thirteen years ago we barely even knew what interweb improv was." Let's get crackin'!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google